Poly Prep recognizes that our planet is in crisis. Soil erosion, ecosystem destruction, pollution of our land, air and water, and global warming jeopardize human health and threaten the animals and plants that share our planet.
While global trends have global causes, Poly believes solutions start locally. Poly pledges to help protect Planet Earth by reducing our carbon footprint, engaging in sustainable practices as a school, promoting environmental education and stewardship, and modeling a “green” ethic in everything we do.
We also believe our Planet Pledge naturally extends Poly’s mission—as a country day school with two campuses—to educate the mind, body, and character of our students.
For this very reason, we have already demonstrated “green” leadership. From our ongoing, student-led recycling program to the construction of the city’s first LEED-certified school building at our Lower School, Poly has taken significant, concrete actions to “go green.”
Therefore, to build on past achievements and to fulfill our Planet Pledge, Poly will strive to:
1. Involve the entire Poly family, including students, faculty, parents, staff, alumni, and trustees;
2. Reach beyond Poly to our Brooklyn neighbors to collaborate on local sustainability and greening;
3. Integrate the environment, and sustainability into our curriculum and engage in innovative, interdisciplinary projects to promote environmental education and stewardship;
4. Incorporate sustainable practices into all school operations as resources permit, including energy use, waste disposal and recycling, building use and design, grounds and campus maintenance, and food service; and
5. Evaluate our progress in “greening” Poly on an on-going basis, issue periodic reports on Poly’s Planet Pledge, and celebrate our successes to the Poly family and the wider community.
An architect's rendering of the proposed "ponds renovation" to restore ecological balance to Poly's ponds and make them a more effective outdoor laboratory for faculty and students studying ecology and biology.